Builders Development Corporation (BDC) is a Missouri nonprofit corporation formed in 2005 to increase the production of affordable housing, and to revitalize neighborhoods, throughout the Greater Kansas City metropolitan area by applying innovative, energy-efficient and entrepreneurial business principles.
The BDC partners with members of the KC HomeBuilders Association; neighborhood residents; governments; existing organizations and funders to form a creative approach to community development and housing for workforce and/or low-income persons, families, and senior citizens.
The Builders Development Corporation is unique in its ability to provide neighborhood revitalization and affordable housing development to multiple communities throughout the region. Of approximately 89 cities that make up Greater Kansas City, many jurisdictions are unable to financially support their own community development corporations, though they have real housing & development challenges. The BDC is proud to provide these services to smaller jurisdictions, while at the same time working with larger communities such as Kansas City, Missouri; Kansas City, Kansas; Independence, Missouri; and Johnson County, Kansas to help meet their affordable housing needs.
To fulfill our mission, the BDC:
- Promotes community redevelopment in the Kansas City, Missouri Metro area
- Provides affordable home ownership opportunities for working families
- Promotes the concept of affordable housing through educational and demonstration programs
- Initiates innovative methods of providing affordable housing to persons and families of low and modest income
- Arranges and provides acquisition, construction, sale or lease of dwellings and associated improvements, including the supervision of leased premises, and financing of all of the above
- Engages in all neighborhood revitalization and educational activities thathelp accomplishment these purposes
The BDC is an established leader in developing affordable housing throughout the Kansas City area, as evidenced by our accomplishments:
- Named Housing Specialist by 8 small cities for NSP1 – Category 1 and Category 3 – 2010
- Awarded 2011 HUD Best Practice Award for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program- 2011
- Partnered with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other agencies to coordinate the 2010, 2011 & 2012 Sustainable Housing Conferences, an event which draws between 175-200 from throughout the Midwest to focus on energy-efficiency and sustainability
- Named Housing Specialist by 3 small cities for NSP3 – 2011
- Named a Community Housing Development Organization for Johnson County, Kansas; the State of Kansas; and for the City of Independence, Missouri – 2011